Skocz do zawartości
Game Armada

RSI.com Collision Course - Part II

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Radu Ghazi settled into the bunk, letting the mattress conform underneath him. He was impressed by the support. Most ship designers couldn’t care less about mattress strength. They seemed to spend all their time pouring credits and attention into the sexier aspects of the ships; the hull, the guns, the engines. The marketing points, he’d once heard them called. That was back on Prime, in some high class bar that he had no business being in. The thing these companies didn’t seem to grasp was that when you spend months on the drift, a comfortable mattress could save your life just as well as an armored hull.

The airlock lift hissed and opened. A short man in an expensive but ill-fitted flightsuit rose into view on the lift near the bunks. The man turned towards Radu.

Radu snapped off a shot with his pistol. The energy round punched through the small man’s faceplate and popped into his head. He dropped in a heap and was still. A thin strand of smoke rose from the wound.

Radu climbed out of the bunk, dragged the body off the lift and took an appraising look around the interior of the Constellation. He might have to buy one of these when he gets the credits.

He hit the descend button on the lift. The platform shook gently and began to descend.

Outside, the sun was just beginning to rise on Daymar. Swirls of dust danced in the predawn light. Radu crossed the landing platform, keeping an eye on the dark buildings dotted around the edge of the outpost complex.

Based on his recon, the target (learning their names just muddled his thinking) was always the first one up, so he wasn’t expecting any witnesses, but you had to be ready for anything. That type of flexibility had seen him through some pretty dicey situations.

Radu trudged towards the jagged peak behind which he’d parked his ship. Gravel crunched underneath his boots as he glanced back at the closest building. A faded logo for Rayari Inc. was barely visible under the weathered dirt. He’d heard the company mentioned on the spectrum from time to time, but had no idea what it really did, even less of what it would be doing all the way out here.

What do you gotta do to get sent out here? Radu wondered as he climbed the hill. Trying to figure out the stories that led people to where they were was one of his favorite hobbies. Six years in the Bremen militia watching people come and go provided a lot of opportunities for people watching. That was a long time ago, however.

He reached the top and did a thorough scan around the outpost to make sure no one had stirred. The light from Stanton’s star had now crept across the horizon. The moon was peaceful and quiet.

Radu glanced back at the Constellation waiting on the pad, wondered briefly about how long it would be before anyone discovered the body he left inside, then turned and walked down to his own ship. The old Gladius had been his father’s, the same model as the one his old man had flown back in the service. Radu and his dad had picked it up at a reclamation sale and spent two years fixing it up. When Radu joined the militia, his dad passed the ship onto him.

Moments later, after the flare of his thrusters had merged with the canopy of stars, the outpost was still again.

The credits hit his account by the time Radu entered the main sprawl of Grim HEX. The central hub of the dilapidated station was bathed in the flickering light of the massive community screen that loomed above. What had once been used by the station administration to post updates, job opportunities, ads, local events, et cetera, was now a wash of digital noise, fractured imagery and the occasional Nine Tails symbol.

He didn’t understand why the outlaw pack felt the need to take over the signs. It’s not like there was any confusion that they were running this place now. Looking around, he counted eight armored thugs bearing Nine Tails tags, fully loaded and looking for trouble.

A junkie raced out of a nearby abandoned storefront with that feverish excitement that comes right after scoring a hit. Radu weaved out of his way and watched him disappear down one of the winding back halls. Turns out Radu wasn’t the only one watching. He met the gaze of a pair of squatters dressed in ragged oil-stained clothes. Their hands twitched sporadically. They seemed to be waiting to see if Radu was going to move on the junkie. When Radu turned away, they skulked down the hall after their prey.

Ol’ 38 was pretty empty, so Radu could grab a seat by the end of the bar. The bitter old man wasn’t working the bar today, it was that kid, the one who looked like one bad day away from the junkie Radu just saw.

“Get you somethin’?” he asked as he polished up a dirty glass.

“Gin and Pips,” Radu responded.

The kid nodded and slowly started to make the drink. Radu couldn’t help but watch him check each and every bottle in the speed rail until he found whatever cheap gin they had. Then he checked three freezers before he could find a can of Pips. The mixture was even more baffling to him.

Finally, the kid put the glass of mostly gin in front of Radu.

“Let me know if that’s okay,” he said with a tinge of hope.

Radu took a sip and winced. It was a lot of gin.

“Yeah, sure. It’ll do.”

The kid bartender grinned, gave a thumbs up, then went back to “clean” more glasses.

Radu brought up his mobi and skimmed through the headlines on the spectrum, but it was just more of the same: fear and money — the two engines that seemed to drive all of Humanity.

“Hey there, chief.”

Radu looked up from his mobi. There was no mistaking that voice. Madrigal was a two-bit thug for the NovaRiders. Rumor was that Madrigal used to be CCS, the civilian division of Hurston’s corporate security, but was let go for being too violent. Collections were his specialty, which unfortunately put Radu on his radar. Two of his enforcers were waiting by the door, presumably there to keep Radu from making a break for it.

“Hey, Ayrs,” Madrigal said as he settled onto the seat next to Radu. “Lemme get a Rust.”

The kid behind the bar smiled and spent another protracted amount of time trying to identify the right bottle.

In the meantime, Madrigal let out a theatrical sigh and turned to face Radu, who simply stared ahead this whole time.

“I hear you might have something for me.”

“Yeah?” Radu replied and took a sip of his drink. The ice had cut down the potency of the gin. Or maybe it was the growing anger …

“I heard from a person who heard from a person that you just pulled off a ghost job.” Madrigal stared at Radu, a smug grin on his face. “I mean, you know what a social guy I am. All the friends I got.”

Radu didn’t say anything. Madrigal watched him.

“I’m waiting,” he finally said.

“The credits just transferred. I was gonna send ’em.” Radu brought up his mobi and sent the pay to whatever dummy account the NovaRiders had set up for collections. He watched his own account drop down to double-digits.

“Good, real good.” Ayrs delivered a glass of Rust. Madrigal immediately downed it and checked his mobi. He did not look impressed. “Looking a little short.”

“That’s what they were paying.” Radu took another sip. “You don’t like the rate, take it up with them.”

Madrigal grabbed Radu by the back of the neck and slammed his head to the bar. Everyone in the bar jumped at the sound, but nobody did anything. The kid bartender turned away to look for more glasses to clean.

“Let’s pause a sec and recap. You owe us, so we own you. You stop paying? You die. You try to run? You die. Don’t like it? Maybe you shouldn’t have done what you done. So mind the goddamn tone with me. You’re alive because you’re useful and believe me, that can change real quick.” Suddenly, the smug grin was back. “Alright. Good talk. You got two days left to pay us for this month. I’m sure you’ll work it out.”

Madrigal grabbed Radu’s glass and downed that too.

“Thanks for the drink.”

Madrigal left. No one looked at him as he strode out of the bar. The two lunks of muscle by the door followed him out.

Radu sat up. After a few moments, the kid bartender wandered over like nothing had happened.

“Another?”

Radu shook his head and hit the job board on his mobi instead. As he scanned through the random and anonymous jobs that populated the local servers, one headline jumped out at him.

“I messed up.”

The job seemed simple enough: retrieve a NavDrive from a wreck and drop it off to get wiped. The money was right too, but it was something more. The offer was written with a desperation Radu could relate to.

He took the job. Moments later, all the relevant data flooded to his mobi.

Radu stopped by his hab to pull his flight suit and guns. Speed grind music hammered through the walls on one side. The heavy distortion and propulsive beat almost covered the screaming argument that was raging on the other.

He pulled on the chestpiece of his armor and strapped it into place, when he suddenly stopped. Radu slumped down on the edge of the bed and looked at the tiny room around him that had become ‘home.’ He picked out all the tiny details; the days-old foodstuff bags piling up in the corner, the old blood stains on the walls, all of it, and looked at them like he was seeing them for the first time.

The weight of the past six months came pressing down on him. He barely recognized himself anymore. How could he have strayed so far from who he used to be?

All the guilt, frustration and anger swirled around his head until finally, a single thought pushed to the surface: it’s time to change.

He’d do this job. Whatever it took to get him a little breathing room until his next payment was due, but he’d use that time to escape, to find a way out of the noose that was slowly strangling him.

One way or another, Radu decided, he would be free.

Radu weaved his way through the halls of Grim HEX, past the squatters and Nine Tails killers, the broken doors with leaking atmo, and headed towards his ship.

Outside the airlock to his pad, Madrigal was shaking down some other poor sap for whatever creds she had kicking around. Radu hit the button for the airlock and waited. Madrigal finally noticed him.

“Safe flying,” Madrigal yelled with a smirk.

The airlock finished cycling and the door hissed open. Radu stepped inside and punched the button. The outer door finally opened, revealing his ship.

He stocked the rifles and climbed into the pilot’s seat. The canopy struggled to close while he powered on the various ship systems. The multi-displays flickered to life while the engines started to hum. He struck the thrusters and felt the first lurch of movement as the skids lifted off the deck. He checked for an open flight path. The space around Grim HEX was notorious for lazy outlaws trying to score easy kills from pilots who thought they were ‘safe.’

Lift fast, clear fast was the mantra. Radu spotted an empty route out of the asteroid cluster and flashed the engines. The G’s hit his chest as the ship punched out away from the station.

The light fighter effortlessly weaved through the massive asteroids, dancing slowly through the void. The scans were clear, but Radu did visual sweeps to see if any would-be ambushers were pulling low-sigs to get close. Satisfied he was alone, he input the coordinates for the retrieval job. It was still in the asteroids around Yela, but on the far side, so he’d need to quantum around the moon before he could get a straight shot.

The first orbital marker selected, the quantum drive spun up and kicked him into a blur. The surrounding Stanton system turned into a smear of light until the drive automatically dropped him out. He repositioned the ship to the next marker and quantumed again.

Minutes later, he descended into the asteroid belt towards his coordinates. The scans were clear, but Radu slowed anyway. No sense wandering into a trap in case the job had been shopped to other pilots. Sure enough, he started to see scattered pieces of debris, leading him to the decimated wreck of a Connie.

He began to a wide sweep around the wreckage to make sure he was truly alone.

That’s when he saw the ragged Buccaneer parked up outside with its power on, lights shining into the wreck, and no pilot to be seen.

Damn, he thought. I really didn’t want to have to kill anyone today.

TO BE CONTINUED

SURVEY

It seems that our two main characters, Radu and Clara, are about to cross paths and we want your help in deciding what happens next. Take the survey below and let us know how you think the action should unfold. (If you need a refresher on what happened in Part One of Collision Course you can read it here.) The poll will close Friday, August 18th at 6:00pm PST.

Przeczytaj całość

Zapraszamy do regularnej aktywności na forum! Jeśli widzisz jakieś treści, które tu nie powinny się znajdować skorzystaj z opcji "zgłoś post". Jeśli coś nie działa, lub masz problem kliknij "Pomoc".

Ater Dracones rekrutują - dołącz do naszej organizacji multigamingowej!

banner-discord-ga-ad-scpl.png

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

• Podobna zawartość

• Przez Game Armada
      Hello everyone,
      Happy Monday! A few members of the CIG team spent their weekend exploring PAX South and attending the annual Bar Citizen event on the River Walk. We had an absolute blast, as usual, and want to thank everyone who came out and said hello.
      Now, let’s see what’s going on this week:
      Tuesday welcomes another detailed lore piece with Brothers in Arms Part 1, where we follow two brothers as they struggle to go legit by opening a private security outfit.
      Thursday will welcome another episode of Around the Verse where we’ll take a look at the latest Star Citizen news.
      Friday will see a Roadmap update and the RSI Newsletter delivered right to your inbox. Haven’t subscribed yet? Head to your Account Settings right away and never miss one of our newsletters again!
      We’ve also got some fun activities planned for this weekend! First, we’ll be kicking off another commercial contest on Friday – tune in to Around the Verse this week to discover more details about this contest’s theme. Then, we’re celebrating Australia day in style. Starting on Friday, and through the weekend, we’ll be making the Gladius Valiant available to fly for free to all existing backers. This Free Fly will be coupled with another awesome screenshot contest – keep an eye out on Spectrum for more details!
      Finally, we know how eager you all are to see additional columns added to the Roadmap. We’re still going through milestone planning and should have an update for you in the coming couple of weeks. We’re fully aware that many of you would like a specific date so that you can rest your F5 finger, but we want to make sure we’ve covered everything intricately before pushing out the update.
      See you in the ‘verse!
      Tyler Witkin
      Lead Community Manager

The Weekly Community Content Schedule
      MONDAY, JANUARY 21ST, 2019
                  -   
      TUESDAY, JANUARY 22ND, 2019
                  Lore – Serialized Fiction: Brothers in Arms (Part 1)   (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch)
      WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23RD, 2019
                  -   
      THURSDAY, JANUARY 24TH, 2019
                  Around the Verse    (https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/)
                  Vault Update   
      FRIDAY, JANUARY 25TH, 2019
                  Roadmap Update   
                  RSI Newsletter   
                  Commercial Contest   
                  Screenshot Contest   
                  Australia Day Free Fly   

Community MVP: January 21st, 2019

We are constantly amazed by the contributions made by the Star Citizen community. Whether it's fan art, a cinematic, a YouTube guide, or even a 3D print of your favorite ship, we love it all! Every week, we select one piece of content submitted to the Community Hub and highlight it here. The highlighted content creator will be awarded an MVP badge on Spectrum and be immortalized in our "MVP section of the Hub":https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/mvp-posts Don’t forget to submit your content to our Community Hub for a chance at seeing it here!

4K Mobile Wallpaper Pack #1 by NarayanN7

Check out Narayan’s set of epic mobile wallpapers, all captured in 4K.

Enjoy the full gallery on the Community Hub.

Przeczytaj całość
    • Przez Game Armada
      In this week’s update we see how hover bikes will work in the new flight model, and how devs are re-targeting animations to make female playable characters unique and authentic.
      Przeczytaj całość
    • Przez Game Armada
      Daisy Wences: Welcome once again to your show of shows, Spectrum Spectator. Where we take everything broadcast during the past week and blend it into a concentrated, easy-to-digest paste. I’m your entertainment emissary, Daisy Wences, and with me as always is this other person.
      Lars Gonall: Why do I feel like the job title ‘Paste Purveyor’ would go over better with my parents than ‘Spectrum Critic?’
      Daisy Wences: Because even though you’re a grown adult, you still live your life seeking your parents’ approval?
      Lars Gonall: Once again, thanks to Daisy, I’m going to have some deep thinking to do after this show.
      Daisy Wences: That’s why we’re all here, right? Profound self-epiphanies.
      Lars Gonall: Profound epiphanies through the prism of spectrum are the perfect medium for self-reflection.
      Daisy Wences: Which reminds me, have you caught Far From Home yet?
      Lars Gonall: I have…
      Daisy Wences: Yes! How many episodes have you done? Ten? Twenty?
      Lars Gonall: Daisy has been begging me to check it out since she discovered it last week and I gotta say… it’s not for me.
      Daisy Wences: What?!
      Lars Gonall: For those of you unfamiliar, Far From Home is this personal diary and advice show that a solo pilot puts out from his Freelancer. It’s basically like when you get seated next to your friend’s uncle at a dinner party and they just want to talk about how good ships used to be in the old days.
      Daisy Wences: You did not just compare Old Jegger to someone’s random uncle.
      Lars Gonall: Later, when you go back and check the recording, you will see that I, in fact, did exactly that.
      Daisy Wences: Despite what Lars says, I still think that this is a show worth checking out. I heard about it on a DIY forum when I was trying to fix a glitchy heater in my hab. Of course, instead of actually fixing the stupid thing, I wound up spending the rest of the night consuming every Far From Home episode I could find. Maybe because part of me always wondered what it would be like on the drift. Hearing him talk, you start to understand the difference between a solitary life and a lonely one.
      Lars Gonall: I will say that I appreciated how he seemed very much about everyone finding their own best way to live. It wasn’t just him preaching about how we should all be space hermits. And I’ll also give it a few more points now that there’s that rumor circulating that he’s dead.
      Daisy Wences: Wait? What?
      Lars Gonall: You didn’t see this? It was on the Galactapedia page. Turns out he hasn’t put out an episode since the last one he did from Charon. People are speculating that something might have happened to him. A bunch of fans have started trying to organize a search for him.
      Daisy Wences: He is a hermit, right? I bet he’s simply staying off the grid for a bit. I’m sure this is just one of those dumb spectrum rumors and he’ll show up in a week or two with a great story to tell. At least, I really hope that’s what’ll happen.
      Lars Gonall: Yeah. You’re probably right. Just promise me that you’re not gonna run away to join the search.
      Daisy Wences: Don’t worry, Lars. I’m not leaving the show… yet.
      Lars Gonall: Since we got to talk about one of your new favorite shows, you want to talk about my new crush that you can’t stand?
      Daisy Wences: Fine. Go ahead.
      Lars Gonall: From the makers of such fine reality vids like Kid Empire and Weapon Wars: Shoot-Out Edition comes my brand new obsession, Face to Face, a dating show with a brilliant premise.
      Daisy Wences: You mean an insanely creepy premise.
      Lars Gonall: Oh, yeah. Won’t argue with you there. This is definitely a show for people who love cringe binging. All the contestants are sent into one of those new and really expensive BiotiCorp machines and given identical faces.
      Daisy Wences: Want to know how they picked what that face would look like? They created a composite head from all the main single person’s exes. How messed up is that?
      Lars Gonall: The show claims they’re trying to create an ideal partner for the selector by looking at their previous romantic choices. The lucky -
      Daisy Wences: I guess that’s how they could be described…
      Lars Gonall: The lucky bachelor is a fitness instructor from New Babbage named Eris who goes on dates with all the contestants and eliminates anyone they don’t like. Once eliminated, the candidates are reverted back to their original face.
      Daisy Wences: I swear it’s like some bizarre cult. One of the contestants who got cut was sobbing because they didn’t want their old face back. I know it’s pretty common these days to adjust how you look, but the way they were all losing their identity while trying to become someone else’s fantasy made me really uncomfortable.
      Lars Gonall: You had a much darker take than I did. For me, it was fun to watch people get to know each other in a situation where their looks didn’t matter. Eris couldn’t judge people on who was attractive or not, it was all about if they had a connection. What’s really going to be interesting is that the winning contestant gets to reconstruct their face however they want. Do they go with their original? An ‘improved’ version of themselves? Keep their new face? So many choices.
      Daisy Wences: Do you think the people at BiotiCorp would have made the Calliope if they knew that this was how their amazing invention was going to be used?
      Lars Gonall: I assume all scientists hope for a day when their discovery or invention can be used to help strangers pretend to be in love on spectrum.
      Daisy Wences: Shall we move on to a show that we were actually scheduled to review this week?
      Lars Gonall: Even better, a show that we both actually liked.
      Daisy Wences: Last Friday saw the premiere of the much-heralded docu-series One Step Back. Filmed on Asura, it’s a hard look at what life is like for former criminals trying to re-enter society. The first episode focuses on Liz ‘Necro’ Salguero, a convicted shipjacker who was released from Quarterdeck last year.
      Lars Gonall: You get a real sense of what it must be like to have this criminal reputation hanging over your head. At one point, she goes through a checkpoint on her way to sell some scrap and seeing how security swarms all over her to do a deep scan was really surprising to me. Maybe this is just my naïveté talking, but I always figured that serving time was enough to clear your record. It turns out though that the Advocacy keeps you flagged as a person of interest for a long time after you’ve been incarcerated, and a lot of people get access to those records.
      Daisy Wences: One of the people they interview is a criminal rights advocate who is trying to change the law so that once your crime is atoned for, your records remained sealed unless you are charged with a crime again. We expect these people to be able to make a life for themselves, but with their past available to potential employers, many can’t find work and even when they do, it’s a long hard road to earning trust and respectability again.
      Lars Gonall: This isn’t exactly the same thing, but I do remember this one time growing up when my dad accidentally clipped a ship that was rising out of hangar bay. He got flagged and until he paid off the fine, we weren’t allowed to use a lot of public landing areas. It was only a week, but still.
      Daisy Wences: I had no idea you came from an outlaw family. It’ll be interesting to see what the show does to help forward the dialogue about all this. Apparently, since the episode was released, Liz has been overwhelmed with job offers and people looking to help her out. Pretty touching really. Of course, that’s just one person.
      Lars Gonall: Strongly recommend you give this show a try. It’s not exactly lighthearted, but it’s doing some important things.
      Daisy Wences: All right, on that surprisingly serious note, we have to take our first break. When Spectrum Spectators returns, we’ll be discussing the new Tavi Arteaga comedy, One Mann’s Treasure, about a young woman named Aleria Mann who leaves her bustling life in Prime to run her sick mother’s salvaging business out in the far reaches of Corel.
      Lars Gonall: I’m pretty excited because we haven’t reviewed a ‘the character’s name is a title pun’ show in a long time, so be sure to stick around and we’ll be right back.
      Przeczytaj całość
    • Przez Game Armada
      Hello everyone,
      After testing 3.4.2 on the PTU over the weekend, we’re aiming to release the patch to the live servers soon. As always, we want to thank everyone who helped test the latest build, as it wouldn’t be possible to have such a quick turnaround without you guys.
      Last week, we distributed the Buy Back Tokens for the first quarter of 2019 and posted a schedule for the entire year on Spectrum. Check the Announcement to know when the next Token will drop and read our FAQ if you’re looking for more information about how this system works.
      And with that, let’s see what’s going on this week:
      Tuesday will carry a lore post presenting a new episode of Spectrum Spectator, a docu-series currently highlighting reformed criminals.
      Thursday will welcome another episode of Around the Verse where we’ll take a look at the latest Star Citizen news.
      Friday will see a Roadmap update and the RSI Newsletter delivered right to your inbox. Haven’t subscribed yet? Head to your Account Settings right away and never miss one of our newsletters again! We’re also aiming to publish the Star Citizen Fankit, including wallpapers, music and holoviewer files that should serve as a powerful resource for all of you content creators out there. It’ll also include a style guide answering all the questions about what you can and can’t do with Star Citizen assets.
      See you in the ‘verse!
      Ulf Kuerschner
      Senior Community Manager

The Weekly Community Content Schedule
      MONDAY, JANUARY 14TH, 2019
                  -   
      TUESDAY, JANUARY 15TH, 2019
                  Lore – Spectrum Spectator   (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch)
      WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 16TH, 2019
                  -   
      THURSDAY, JANUARY 17TH, 2019
                  Around the Verse    (https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/)
                  Vault Update   
      FRIDAY, JANUARY 18TH, 2019
                  Roadmap Update   
                  RSI Newsletter   
                  Fan Kit   

Community MVP: January 14th, 2019

We are constantly amazed by the contributions made by the Star Citizen community. Whether it's fan art, a cinematic, a YouTube guide, or even a 3D print of your favorite ship, we love it all! Every week, we select one piece of content submitted to the Community Hub and highlight it here. The highlighted content creator will be awarded an MVP badge on Spectrum and be immortalized in our "MVP section of the Hub":https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/mvp-posts Don’t forget to submit your content to our Community Hub for a chance at seeing it here!

The Asgard Legion by WailanderTv

Check out WailanderTV’s second Star Citizen Machinima in which he portrays the heroes on board of the “Sleipnir”, a vessel deciding the fate of the ninth fleet.

Enjoy the full video on the Community Hub.

Przeczytaj całość
    • Przez Game Armada
      Holy Foley! The wild world of practical sound fx, new flight system updates, procedural layout tools, and a full on map attack, in this week’s update.
      Przeczytaj całość

Powiadomienie o plikach cookie

Umieściliśmy na twoim urządzeniu pliki cookies by ulepszyć korzystanie z naszego serwisu. Możesz dopasować swoje ustawienia obsługi cookies, a jeśli tego nie uczynisz zakładamy, że nie stanowi to dla ciebie problemu. Polityka prywatności